VEGETABLE-STUFFED BEEF ROLL M SERVES: 10-12
Each slice of beef resembles a beautiful mosaic tile made up of the varied colors of the vegetables, olives, and eggs.
Prep time: 60 min. Browning: 10 min. Braising: 2 ½ -3 hours
Chilling: overnight Slicing & Serving: 20 min.
4½ pounds silver tip- ask your
butcher to cut it into 1 long flat piece-
½ inch thick
3 large carrots
2 large peppers- red/yellow
3 hard-boiled eggs
30 small pimiento-stuffed green olives
freshly ground black pepper
2 boxes Pomi chopped tomatoes
2 cups water
1 large onion
2 bay leaves
½ cup white vinegar
Medium roaster with cover
- Vegetables: Peel and trim carrots. Slice them into four strips lengthwise. Set aside. Rinse, core, and seed peppers. Cut them into 1/3 inch strips. Set aside. Quarter eggs. Drain olives.
- Rinse meat. Stretch it out on a flat surface. Pat meat dry and grate black pepper all over it.
- Arrange vegetables, olives and eggs in alternating rows crosswise over the meat.
- Start at the short end and roll meat tightly. Push in any vegetables that squeeze out. Using butcher twine, tie the roast together in concentric circles at two inch intervals. Pat outside of roast dry. Set aside while you prepare sauce.
- Peel and chop onion finely. Add chopped onion, tomatoes, water, bay leaves, vinegar, salt and pepper to saucepan. Bring ingredients to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to: 350 F.
- Pour ½ inch oil into skillet. Heat oil over medium-high flame. Carefully, place rolled roast in oil and brown on all sides. Transfer meat to roasting pan. Pour tomato sauce over and around meat. Cover pan and cook stuffed roast 2 ½ hours or until tender, Baste every 30 minutes.
- When roast is done, remove it from roaster and place on a platter. Allow roast to cool before covering and refrigerating it. Refrigerate sauce separately. It will have the consistency of tomato marmalade. Refrigerate stuffed beef and sauce overnight.
- Slice rolled roast into ¾ inch slices. Arrange slices in a single layer on a serving platter. Allow meat to come to room temperature before serving.
- Remove fat from the top of tomato sauce, stir well and serve at room temperature with sliced beef.