Strawberry-Blueberry Tart P Serves: 10The play on cooked and raw, tart and sweet is irresistible.
Prep time: 20 minutes + 60 minutes chilling time
Pre-baked 11 inch pareve crust
4 pints fresh blueberries (enough for 5 ½ cups berries with some left over)
2/3 cup sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup water
2 large lemons
Medium saucepan with cover
Small mixing bowl
- Grate one lemon on the small holed side of the grater directly into small mixing bowl. Set aside. Shred the other lemon on the shredder side of the grater and wrap in waxed paper. Squeeze juice from both lemons. Pour out four tablespoons juice. Set aside.
- Add sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch to grated lemon peel. Set aside.
- Rinse blueberries. Remove all stems and bruised berries. Put 3 full cups berries and water in saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove cover and stir in lemon juice and sugar mixture. Return mixture to a boil, and stir until thickened. Remove saucepan from heat. Cool slightly, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely chilled- about one hour.
- Gently dry remaining blueberries. Remove chilled blueberry mixture from the refrigerator. Fold in 1 ½ cups raw berries. Spoon combined blueberry filling into cooked pie crust. Smooth over the top gently.
- Wipe off strawberries and slice off their stems. Arrange strawberries around the circumference of the tart. Scatter 1 cup blueberries over the center. Sprinkle the blueberries with shredded lemon peel. Serve tart chilled or at room temperature.
Note: Serve with a scoop of Vanilla Bean Ice Cream if you are having a dairy meal!