Zucchini and Feta Patties D Yield: about 18 pattiesThese are the lightest and most flavorful patties/latkes you will ever eat. Don’t skip squeezing the water out of the zucchini. You will be amazed at how much water comes out. I’ve done it both ways. The patties are much harder to form and fry if they are waterlogged. Follow the steps and you will be thrilled with the results. Although these patties are Turkish, I serve them for dinner with boiled potatoes mashed with olive oil, salt and pepper. They can be served for lunch with a big salad or as an appetizer/hors d’oeuvre with thick yogurt on the side.
3 medium zucchini
1 teaspoon salt
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
½ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons flour
8 ounces feta cheese
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 small bunch each: dill, flat leaf parsley, mint
Freshly ground black pepper
Electric food processor with shredder attachment
- Wash zucchini and cut off the ends. Slice zucchini lengthwise and then in thirds cross wise. Insert zucchini into top of processor and shred. Scrape shredded zucchini into colander. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and toss well. Let zucchini drain 15 minutes.
- Peel and halve onion. Slice thinly. Scrape into a mixing bowl.
- Peel and mince garlic. Add to onions.
- Squeeze water out of shredded zucchini one handful at a time. Add to onions and garlic. Mix well.
- Heat three tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium-high flame. Add zucchini mixture and sauté until the vegetables start to brown. Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes.
- Beat three eggs in mixing bowl. Add flour and beat until smooth.
- Dice or crumble feta and add to egg batter.
- Chop herbs so that you have about one cup of each-without stems. You can change the proportions if you prefer one to another. Add to batter.
- Remove zucchini mixture with a slotted spoon and add to batter. Stir thoroughly. Sprinkle with chili powder and freshly ground black pepper. Stir again. Taste. Add more chili powder and/or pepper to taste.
- Pour a thin layer of olive oil in skillet. Heat over medium high flame. Drop zucchini batter by tablespoon for smaller ones, by wooden spoon for slightly larger ones. Brown on one side three or four minutes or until firm enough to flip and brown again on the other side. Add more oil as needed. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels. Serve warm.