Peach-Plum Galette P Serves: 8What a perfect way to take advantage of summer’s bounty! The combination of luscious peaches and plums, both in taste and in color, can‘t be beat. I usually double the recipe and make two. There are never any leftovers!
Prep time: 30 min. plus 60 min for dough to rest Baking time: 45 min.
1 ¼ cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup unsalted non dairy margarine
3 tablespoons cold water
1 ½ pounds ripe peaches and plums
1/3 cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon flour
Electric food processor
2 mixing bowls
Cookie sheet lined with baking parchment
Small pastry brush
- Insert steel knife in processor bowl. Add flour, salt and sugar. Process a few seconds. Cut margarine into one tablespoon slices and add to processor. Pulse on and off until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With processor on, add water and process until dough forms at the side of the bowl. Scrape dough out of the bowl, wrap it in waxed paper and chill for at least one hour.
- Prepare fruit about 15 minutes before you want to roll out dough and bake tart. If you add the sugar to the fruit too early, too much liquid will gather and you will have to drain it before add the fruit to the crust.
Place peaches in mixing bowl and cover with boiling hot water. Wait two minutes and remove peaches with slotted spoon. If peaches are ripe, the skin should come off easily. If they are slightly hard, you may have to use a sharp knife to help pull of the peel. Cut peaches in half, remove pits, and cut into five to six slices. Place in mixing bowl. Rinse plums and remove all labels. Cut plums in half, remove pits and slice each half in 5-6 slices depending on the size of the plums. Add to plums in mixing bowl. Sprinkle fruit with sugar, ginger and cinnamon. Toss gently.
- Preheat oven to: 400 F.
- Remove dough from fridge. Place dough directly on parchment covered cookie sheet. Roll out dough about 1/8th inch thick and about 12 inches in circumference.
- Mix one tablespoon flour with one tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle over the bottom of rolled dough.
- Scatter fruit over the circle of dough leaving a two inch border all around.
- Gently, pick up a piece of dough and start folding it over the fruit toward the middle. Continue folding dough over the fruit in an overlapping pattern. Press down lightly so that the dough adheres.
- Beat egg well and brush over border of dough. (Rinse brush and set aside.)Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Place in oven on bottom rack. Bake for 45 minutes or until crust is golden and fruit juices are running. Remove from oven and cool on rack.
- While galette is cooling, take pastry brush and dip it gently into fruit juices and glaze top of fruit. Slide a long spatula under the bottom of galette and slide it on to a serving platter. Serve galette warm or at room temperature.