Spinach & Feta Cheese Roll D Yield: 2 rolls-about 8 slices per roll
The feta cheese adds a salty kick to the spinach which is then mellowed out with the cottage cheese all rolled up in crispy phyllo dough. This recipe is perfect for either a light appetizer or main course and can be baked and frozen.
Prep time: 20 minutes Baking time: 25 minutes
1 large onion
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
one 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach-thawed and squeezed dry
8 ounces cottage cheese ( 2% or 4%)
½ pound Feta cheese
freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon nutmeg (to taste)
10 sheets phyllo dough-defrosted
Medium mixing bowl
Jelly roll pan
- Peel onion and chop finely.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium flame. Add onion and sauté until soft and translucent. Add spinach and stir until onion and spinach are thoroughly mixed and any remaining moisture in the spinach has evaporated. Cool slightly.
- While spinach and onion are cooling, crumble feta cheese in mixing bowl. Add cottage cheese and eggs. Stir well. Add spinach and onion and mix all ingredients together. Taste. Add four or five turns of the pepper grinder and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg. Stir well. Taste again and adjust seasoning adding more pepper and remaining ¼ teaspoon nutmeg if desired. Set aside.
- Line jelly roll pan with parchment. Preheat oven to: 375 F.
- Cut off a piece of waxed paper about 16 inches long. Place on a flat surface. Unwrap phyllo dough. Place one sheet phyllo on waxed paper. (keep remaining dough under damp towel) Brush lightly with olive oil. Repeat this process until you have five sheets layered.
- Take half the spinach-cheese mixture and spread it down the center of the phyllo- leaving about 2 inches at each end. Spread mixture evenly across the width of the dough.
- To roll: Fold in each short end of the roll and them using the waxed paper as a helper, roll the phyllo and spinach together in the shape of a jelly roll. Brush olive oil over the top and sides of the roll and carefully slip it onto the parchment covered jelly roll pan. Repeat this process with remaining phyllo dough and spinach mixture.
- Bake rolls for 30 minutes. Cool five minutes before slicing and serving. This spinach roll makes a great light lunch with a big salad and great bread.
- To freeze: Cool spinach rolls completely. Wrap well in waxed paper and foil and freeze. To serve after freezing: Slip frozen rolls onto cookie sheet and bake in 400 F oven for about 20 minutes. Watch carefully to be sure phyllo doesn’t burn.